Friday, January 14, 2011

"EVERYBODY is a Star" ~ Sylvester Stewart

Taking a break from the sauce for a minute, I thought I’d share a few comments on some current events that truly resonated with me. I spotted a post in the Facebook news feed recently with a caption that included the question: “why does overnight stardom have such a negative effect on people?” As I had just learned of Mr. Ted “Golden Voice” Williams’ entering into rehab, I paused for a moment to consider the question; even started to lean towards agreement with it. But as I considered the facts of his particular case I came to the realization that it’s just not that cut and dry. 

Ted Williams, admittedly, was homeless for a reason. His abuse of alcohol had led to drug addiction. Both cost him his job, family and personal relationships. So can the blame for his having to enter rehab be put on the overnight stardom? Personally, I don’t think so. The “problems” were already there. Perhaps we can say the overnight stardom triggered a relapse, or as the Slate.com article implies, they were never really gone in the first place. But maybe the sensationalized stardom is not really the thing that should be focused upon here.

While the ups and downs of overnight stardom can indeed be compelling subject matter, my hope is that people will take the time to look at another and in my opinion, more important issue here. Why did it take his “overnight stardom” to not only bring attention to Ted but also to his problems?  And now that he is one (a “star,”) why has that made such a difference in his getting access to the help he has needed for years in order to overcome his addictions?

Addictions of EVERY kind are real and the ways in which we deal with them are as varied as humanity its self. But once we have accepted that we have one along with a desire to break it, some can tackle doing so on there own while others may need a little help. We can sometimes get help in the form of social support but for some professional and/or medical support is the ONLY option and that my friends, falls under the heading of health care. Whoop, there it is!! The “H” word (or two words actually.) Some of you may get upset with me over what I am about to say but it is my hope that in doing so, an open and civil discourse may ensue.

For too long our health care system has been broken. But we’ve recently seen historic health care legislation signed into law. In saying that I’m not in any way trying to imply that the system has been fixed and what we have now is perfect.  But I would like to ask my friends out there advocating “repeal” of President Obama’s historic health care reform, how many examples of the Ted Williams’ in this country do or will we have to see before we realize that “repeal,” which to me equates to returning to what we had before, does nothing to make things better?

No, the new law is not perfect, but it’s a step in the right direction. It’s a step towards seeing the millions of Ted Williams’ in this country getting the help they need without having to first become an overnight sensation or spectacle in order to get it. Let’s advocate for amendments; continue moving FORWARD until we do have a system that works for everybody. Let’s encourage our elected officials to drop the political posturing and get down to the business of legislating with the goal in mind of what’s best for the PEOPLE of this country. When it comes to health care, let’s put people first; leave the partisan politics for later. 

No comments: